- The Empire Blogger
All You Need to Know Before Moving Day
Preparation and planning is the key to any move, so use our handy guide to work through
the list of things to do before the big day. We know you have a lot to remember. Don’t
worry, we’ve got your back!
Six weeks before your move
- Start decluttering. Don’t waste money paying to have stuff you never use moved to
your new property. This is the time to throw out anything that you have never
used. If you pack early then your removal company will have a better idea of how
many boxes you have and will give a more accurate price. Decide on whether you
are going to move yourself or use a moving company. Book early so you can get the
moving company of your choice. A good moving company can be booked up
months in advance.
- Check your home insurance policy to make sure you are covered from the
day to move in.
Four weeks before your move.
- If you are packing yourself, order and have delivered your packing
boxes. Book extra storage if required.
- If you have any parking restrictions at either address, contact the local authorities or neighbours to arrange parking arrangement suspensions.
- Notify the relevant utility companies of your departure and/or change your address details.
Two weeks before your move
- Have your car(s) serviced, particularly if you are moving long distance.
- Arrange for someone to look after children and pets if possible.
- If you are moving long distance and need a hotel for the night book early
especially in the summer months.
- Start running down freezer foods.
One week before your move
- Confirm arrival time and final arrangements with your moving company including
directions or postal code of your new property and any access issues.
- Start dismantling any flat pack furniture.
3 days before your move
- Do any last minute laundry
- Any spare keys should be clearly labeled and left where they will be seen on moving
- Make up a box of refreshments and essential items for your first few days – such as
toilet roll, light bulbs, tea making equipment, scissors, toiletries, pen and paper,
torch, first aid kit, a few pieces of basic cutlery, crockery, corkscrew and of course
a bottle of champagne!
2 days before your move
- Defrost and dry out your fridge / freezer.
- Pack valuables and documents and put them in a safe place. Do not pack these in
a box but place them in the car with you for easy access.
- Make a list of contact details i.e. Solicitors, Estate Agent, Mortgage Broker
- Confirm with your real estate agents when you will be getting the keys
to your new property 1 Day before your move.
- All packing should be done apart from essential items in the kitchen and bathroom.
- Don’t forget to leave out the kettle and tea making items including bedding to
sleep on for the 1 last night.
- Charge your mobile phone, as you will need it tomorrow
- Do a final check of cupboards, the loft, sheds etc. so that nothing is left behind.
- Welcome your moving team and show them all items that are going and anything
that is staying.
- Drop the children off or organize a corner for a lounge with some of their toys
and a few treats. Older children may want specific tasks such as packing up
their own personal box.
- Do a final clean of the house
- Do a final walk round of property including garage and garden.